Tuesday, March 31

Office Narnia

My building is a great big rectangle. It is about 10 stories tall, and the footprint is a rectangle. In the center of this rectangle is the elevator shaft that houses 3 elevators. On my floor of the building everything is set up on the perimeter of the building in order to take advantage of the windows. It is a huge space and quite honestly, I don’t know anyone on the other end of my floor because I never venture over there. We have 2 lunchrooms and over a hundred work spaces on my floor alone. And in the center is the elevator shaft.

Why am I focused on the elevator shaft? Well, the other day I found this whole secret set of tunnels that meander through the elevator shaft area. I know…'huh? It is an elevator shaft…it goes 2 directions – up and very-fast down.’ Well there is an area that goes around the elevator shaft that is kinda closed off. And if you go through the door on the west side of the building you can quickly go through the center of the building to the east side…or the north side…or the south side. It is like a little hallway that encircles the elevator shaft. There are doors that open to the mechanics of the elevator on one side of the hallway, and the other side of the hallway has doors that open to various other places of office space. Now, instead of walking all the way around the perimeter of the building to get to one of the lunchrooms, I can just go through the center.

I keep expecting to find a counter culture of people in the elevator shaft hallways. I mean, we already get deliveries through there, and if any office furniture has to be moved it typically goes through there so as not to disturb the people working on the floor. Also, the recycling is stored there until the shredder people come to pick it up. But I fully expect to go through the hallway one day, open the door to what used to be the lunchroom and completely end up in Office Narnia. Or to open the door to the hallway and encounter a group of Hobos sitting around a campfire cooking beans over it in a can.

No comments: